Saturday, June 21, 2014

My To Do List

                                                              

I am a list maker by nature, so in preparation for next year the first thing I did was to sit down and make a list of everything related to WBT that I will need to or would like to accomplish before my students walk through the door on the first day of school.  I typed it as I wrote it, in no particular order.  Every time I complete something on the list, I will cross it off.  As you are planning for next year, I hope that you will find this list to be helpful to you.

1.  Make Scoreboard
2.  Run off 5 rules and other signs
3.  Create Super Improvers Board
4.  Make Genius Ladder
5.  Create a bulletin board in which the "Brainies" are placed in a tree map
6.  Decide on writing focus skills and their order.  Then create editing sheets based upon these 
     skills for "paper clip" editing and create a small bulletin board to post them as they are taught.
7.  Buy enough red and green pens (for red/green writing) for everyone student to have one of 
     each
8.  Make Wacky Star Fun Button
9.  Make signs for Mind Soccer
10.  Make list of questions for Mind Soccer
11.  Create sample test questions for Prove It
12.  Run off materials for Super Speed Math game
13.  Run off materials for Super Speed Reading game
14.  Create star homework board and thermometer
15.  Make star homework cover sheet and reading log
16.  Make language arts and math pics bulletin board
17.  Run off and laminate all language arts and math pics
18.  Decide on classroom design
19.  Make a list of all the procedures I will use 3 peats for
20.  Decide which procedures I will play "Beat the Clock" with
21.  Study and learn all "Brainy" gestures, as well as any other commonly used gestures
22.  Prepare the rule practice cards
23.  Prepare letter to parents for students to take home when they need to practice a rule
24.  Began putting together 5 step WBT lessons on standards being taught the first couple of 
       weeks of school
25.  Think about my daily schedule
26.  Decide how to plug all of the WBT writing components into my day
27.  Watch the WBT videos on the first hour and first day of school, and then plan my first day
28.  Learn more about all of the "Brain Toys" and decide on good places to use them
29.  Place Super Speed Grammar and Super Speed Rhymes on desktop
30.  Make sign to post with oral writing pattern

I will be busy this summer getting all of these things done, but I still plan on taking some time off to relax and enjoy myself.  To be honest, because I am so excited about WBT, most of this list seems more like fun than work.  

As you were reading through this list, there were probably many things that  you have questions about.  Remember, to find the answers you are looking for right away, you can always go to www.wholebrainteaching.com.  I will also be blogging in-depth about the items on this list throughout the summer and the school year.  I also promise that before the school year begins, I will show you what my finished classroom looks like.


3 comments:

  1. Joyce, your blog looks great! I'm so glad you found WBT. Your to-do list shows that you're very on top of things and you've definitely included all of the essential components. Hopefully you'll share some of the resources you make with us (especially prove-it and and mind soccer questions!) :)

    As to Number 28 (brain toys) i thought I could help. I just made a poster set and included suggested uses for each one. Head on over to http://wbtisforeveryone.tumblr.com and check'm out. Hopefully you'll find some other things to help you have the best teaching year yet!

    Power to the students!
    -Anthony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anthony. I appreciate the feedback. I will be sharing both resources and I ideas as I create them. I appreciate you sharing your brain toys posters and ideas. It is wonderful to be a part of such a great community of teachers in which everyone shares freely. You just gotta love WBT!

      Delete
  2. Yeah, Joyce! I stumbled across the WBT site myself this spring when I was home convalescing from surgery. I plan to start it with my firsties this fall. I still don't have a clue what half the stuff is, but your "to do" list has me intrigued. Thank you for taking the time to do this! I wish you great luck on your WBT trek, and hope that it works for me, too! As for me, the journey has begun, and half the fun is getting there! Laurie

    ReplyDelete